Tuesday, October 11, 2011

10-9-11 Day 17

It’s been two weeks of homelessness and still I find it interesting and eye opening in many ways.
We have finally been blessed with rain here in Austin, though it is not much it is a welcome reprieve from the extreme dry heat we have had for several months.
However, rain does present a problem of the homeless.  The most important aspect of course is sleeping outdoors.  While many will head for the shelters in hopes of some bed space, many others simply find plastic bags to create shelters above them or around themselves to keep them dry and warmer.  Affixation can happen if they are not careful.

For those that have already created a tent for themselves in the creek beds and forest/park areas, they become aware of flash floods, etc.
This change of weather is also when the homeless become more receptive to cold and flu.  It wi9ll not be long now before we begin to hear about people found dead due to the weather; freezing to death or getting severely sick from the cold weather.  Thi9s is also when an influx of homeless people will happen.
Those that choose to be homeless will move in from the north and some from here will even move further south to other cities.  I do not have an option right now.  My commitment remains to my authors and my company.  Thus, I need to be here to handle book shipments as they occur.  Thankfully, I have the storage until to sleep in if need be.
For all others, they will begin to receive coats and blankets from various shelters and organizations to help- them stay as dray and as warm as possible.  I wish them all well.
Life goes on…I go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment