Wednesday, October 5, 2011

10-5-11 #2

Throughout my postings I have not addressed one of the simple things in life that people with homes and jobs take for granted.  Please don’t get me wrong, it’s not a bad thing, in fact it’s one of those things we should never have to worry about.
So in this posting, I am going to address this simple luxury of life; a restroom.
Yep, the call of Mother Nature continues on regardless of your living conditions.  It’s hard to believe that it’s been a mere hundred years or less, that the restroom came into play as part of our homes.  A shack out back was the norm for hundreds of years before that.  All of our ancestors took care of business with no big fan fair back in the olden days.  But in today’s society, if you urinate or relieve yourself anywhere but in a restroom, you are downright disgusting, pathetic, etc.
But as I said, Mother Nature continues her call regardless of your living condition.  So right of the bat, when I found myself needing to relieve myself and there was no “public” restroom available, I found myself in a situation.  Luckily, I was minutes away from the gym I had joined.  That ten minute walk with me squeezing my ass muscles together was not pleasant.  Nor did I look pretty either.  It probably looked like some butch man trying to walk like a super model down a run way.
Luckily, I made it in time.  But it also reminded me that I would have to become more aware of my location and what if any restrooms were available for a non-paying customer.
However, that did not address the issue of needing to urinate during the middle of the night.  Making arrangements for a large bottle in my storage unit or in my gym bag would be required.
Then there is the issue of disposing of the liquid the following morning.  That too brings up many issues, especially with it being as dry as it is here in town.  You don’t want to pour it out anywhere for a few reasons; hygiene, smell, pollution to name a few.  But where and how do you go about disposing such a liquid as this.  When possible, I hold on to the bottle until I get to a public restroom where I then flush it and rinse out the bottle with hot water if available.
This also brings up another issue.  The homeless use of a public restroom: Now before I go on a tangent here, I must be very clear that it’s not just the homeless men who are pigs.  Too many men don’t flush, don’t lift up the seat and simply don’t leave the facilities clean when they are done.  Now saying that, homeless men from what I have been experiencing are the worst culprits.
A lot of this destruction and or lack of empathy and concern does come from their anger of their situation.  Why should they care when society doesn’t care about them?  I understand that thought process, but it’s one of those self-feeding, self-defeating concepts.  By not caring, society sees that and then determines that they will not care about them.  The old saying, “Treat others as you would want to be treated,” seems to have been flushed away.
One finale thought on this messy situation.  I cringe as I walk along the streets knowing that I have a bottle of urine in my gym bag waiting to be disp0osed of.  I pray to god it’ does not open up and leak on my stuff.  I walk just a bit quicker when I do have a bottle with me.  The quicker I can dispose of it, the better.  My mind can relax as it is flushed away and no one is to the wiser of my situation.
Life goes on…I go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment