Tuesday, October 11, 2011

10-8-11 Day 16

I went back to the “Occupy Austin” event mostly to see if they had organized any better. To find that answer I did three things; 1-Ask questions of what “Staff” I could, 2-Ask questions of the press and 3-Listened to what the speakers had to say.  Below are the answers I found.
1-Ask question of the “Staff”.  A young man was sitting at a table with a laptop and other paper items around it.  I was able to determine that he was for all practical aspects, the information officer posting updates to their web site and facebook pages.
My question to him was straight forward and one that I felt would clearly show that the group had organized or at least had some merit.
“What were the group’s objectives of Goals?”
The response actually reminded me of a politician.
“There are so many, I could not answer that question.”  He continued by advising me to listen to the speakers to get my answers.  For someone providing information to the world, that was very disappointing.
I then saw a reporter doing her taping for her news program.  When she was done, I poised the question to her. 
“From the press’s perspective, what is the group’s objective?”
Her response was; “To protest against corporations and wall Street.”
I had to then ask, “What does that mean?  Protest what?”
“A good question,” was her response.  And it is a good question.  In our discussion that followed, she agreed for that there was no solid direction or goals for the group.  She told me that in an interview with a gentleman about the Middle East revolution, he had commented that it took sev3eral years for that revolution to happen.  Several years?  Sorry, but America doesn’t have several years to change.  Most Americans have already lost time and hope.  If things don’t change in the next few days or weeks, many thousands more will be in my position or worst.
Finally to my third objective, to listen to what was being said.  Sadly, I must have missed the speeches for what I heard really was nothing, just pats on their backs for doing a good job protesting.
An old TV commercial comes to mind; “Where’s the beef?”  What is the change this organization wants?  And how are they going to achieve it?
Finally one last item.  As I stood there listening to people a young lady in her late 20’s to early 30’s approached me and asked if I had been following the event.  I told her I had and a conversation ensued where we both were saying the same things about lack of organization, goals, etc.  What I found of interest were the words she uttered to me:  “I’m part of the 99% who lack belief in them.  I want change, but I just don’t think they are the ones to do it.”
Another point of interest that I also found was the absence of the homeless.  I guess they felt left out of this opportunity, or maybe not welcomed to be a part of it as they often are not.
Life goes on…I go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment