Monday, October 17, 2011

10-14-11 Occupy Austin

Last night after I wrote the post, I stuck around and watched what was happening.  I had the opportunity to meet several people which I will discuss below.
The first was an elderly lady around 70 years old who was there to support the movement.  I asked her what it meant to her and she responded that it was about the change that needed to happen in politics and corporate greed.  I then asked her if she was part of the 60’s movement and she informed me that she was and did it in Austin.  I was thrilled to then ask her what she thought was different between then and now.
After careful thought, she said nothing.  It was still the same aspect of people being there to party as well as those who were there for a serious movement.  They both go hand in hand, for the party aspect helps keep tensions low while they get focused on what to do. 
I then asked her wither she felt that her generation had accomplished anything in their movement.  Her first response was NO, which took me back a bit.  Then she said, “Well yes, I guess we did.”  She continued to say that they did make change in the long run.  Getting out of Vietnam, integration and some politics.  When she finished speaking she had a huge smile on her face and thanked me for reminding her of what had been accomplished.  This seem to give her strength to continue to help support the “Occupy” movement.
Later I had the opportunity to talk to one of the young ladies who was responsible for a march to be held soon.  We talked about how the movement had changed and how things were progressing for each city and the overall movement.  I then discussed the concept of how to spend money as I had previously posted and her response was positive.  However, I had to laugh at her when she said, “I would like for you to take control of this and bring it up to the General Assembly so that action can be taken.”  She had very easily made sure that someone other than herself was responsible for this action.  Keeping herself free to do what she wanted to do.  I was impressed.
Finally, I had talked with a film maker who admitted to me that he was a right wing conservative.  He also wanted change, mostly in the form of smaller government and less taxes.  We discussed my ideas and what I had seen in the few times I had been to the event.  I also talked from a position of being a previous public activist in the 90’s.  He turned the camera on and filmed what I had to say.  It will be interesting to see if it is used at any time…lol
Once I watched part of the General Assembly, I left feeling much more confident that things were moving forward for the movement.  I also felt a desire to become more active, however, as I had pointed out to a couple of the people I had spoken with, my main concern right now is staying alive.  Keeping my business alive and trying to get a home once again.  They all understood it and had empathy for me, which was a mixture of comfort but also emptiness.  There really was nothing they could do for me at this time.
Regardless, I am feeling better about Occupy Austin and I do wish them well.  Who knows, maybe I may be in their march on Saturday.
Life goes on…I go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment