Monday, November 7, 2011

11-7-11 Occupy

On Saturday, Nov. 5th, the Occupy Movement along with a young lady created the National Fire Your Bank Day.  I went to the march to show my support but was shocked by the low attendance.  I had expected to see much more especially considering the large press coverage that the movement was getting.  I could not stay, as the homeless event I needed to attend was also scheduled at the same time.  I see this, as the beginning of the end for the movement if things do not continue to change.
To that aspect, I continue to meet and talk with a variety of people, who like myself, feel that the Occupy movement must change and grow.  Their time and power is getting smaller and smaller as demonstrated by the lack of participants and by the fact that the national press is giving more credit to two individuals then to the movement.
It should be noted that based on the couple of national news stations I had watched over the weekend, $4.5 billion dollars has been moved out of the top banks over the past month.  A 164% increase in membership to Credit Unions was seen in the month of October as well.  This huge increase in membership is more than Credit Unions do for a whole year.  This is not because of one or two individuals, but because of a huge movement!   It is this lack of press coverage that is also killing the movement.  Occupy needs to jump on that issue and make it clear, that everyone involved, including those two young women, and the movement made this happen.  Banks are aware of the movement, but it seems Occupy is not.
So, on Election Day Nov 8th, I hope to be able to encourage some type of political action to begin here in Austin, and I hope other cities take charge and begin to form their own political wings as well.  Occupy cannot fail now, and cannot lose the momentum that had started.  Anger has Occupied the movement and must now move in a healthy direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment