Tuesday, November 1, 2011

11-1-11 Occupy Austin

I really do want the Occupy movement to succeed, but I am still greatly concerned over the lack of direction it has.  Here is an example:
A group meets as the finance committee last night.  I sensed from what I heard that it was their first meeting.  Apparently, money has been donated to the group, and it was time to become financially responsible for it and the group.  As the meeting seems to stumble along, I asked someone what they were fore, they stated Occupy Austin.  I thing asked, “Ok, what is Occupy Austin?”  As usual they could not answer the question, and the first person I asked, pushed me off to someone else in the group to answer the question.  They too, could not answer the question.  So I then asked, "If you cannot tell me what Occupy Austin is, then how can you open a checking account?"  They were quick to say, well join our group and help us figure that out.  Sorry, but finances is not my thing as demonstrated by my own company.  However, I did know that real soon, today preferably, if not last night, people within the group of Occupy Austin and all other groups were going to have to determine what Occupy is.  Is it a political action group, an educational group, a for profit, or non-profit, etc.  If they don’t address this and begin moving in some direction, they will be lost. 
If been hounding this issue for the past week now and I feel it falling on deaf ears.  The die hoards that spend the nights in the tents don’t want to do much more.  The die hoards that are trying to create something are allowing too much influence from everyone to keep them from becoming something.  There is absolutely no reason at all that Occupy must be just one thing.  This group and the movement can become many things, various groups splintering off from the main source.  But sometime real soon, if they don’t become something, other than an occupying group, the movement will be lost. 
I do what I can when I can, and that is very, very limited I am sorry to say.  My focus is my business and for me to no longer be homeless.  Until that is corrected and improved upon, my time for the Occupy movement will remain limited.  I just hope what I write does help others to be moved in some way to help out and make the change that is necessary.
Life goes on…I go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment