Saturday, November 12, 2011

11-11-11 Homeless Update

This posting is going to highlight some updates on what it’s like to be homeless, of course from my perspective.
The weather has definitely changed to the Fall/Winter aspect.  Last night was one of the coldest nights so far reaching in the mid 20’s, with freeze warnings in most areas.  I was lucky enough not to be out in the cold.  The storage unit did get cold as I did wake up a couple of times shivering, but it was still warmer then outside and I am grateful for that.
A few days ago, my body was out of whack which put me in a very uncomfortable situation.  While I was in my storage unit, I had to relieve myself, otherwise known as taking a crap.  I could not get dressed and go somewhere as at that time of night there was nowhere to go.  I had been so careful to utilize places as best as I could to avoid this situation, but for that particular night, Mother Nature was not going to wait.
Trying so desperately to win mind over body, I really tried to post pond the action needed, that was not to be.  I found myself grabbing a plastic shopping bag, opening it as wide as I could, squatted over it and prayed that what came out would be hard versus supper soft (diarrhea).  Luckily, it was hard and it did fall into the bag.
My facial expressions clearly showed that I was not a happy camper about this.  Which as I think of camping; taking a crap in the wilderness you can simply find a spot, squat, cover it up and be on your way.   For those softies, they may have even brought some form of toilet paper with them.  That’s not the same when you are in a storage unit.  The fear of it not going into the bag and having to clean it up is bad enough.  The fear of it being diarrhea is also bad. Along with the aspect of cleaning your ass!  Thankfully, I did have some noise tissue around, so that helped a lot.  The aspect of doing it and then stuck with it for hours before being able to dispose of it is worst.  What if it had truly stunk?  I’d be forced to smell it for hours.  God forbid someone walks by the storage unit and smells it?  I’m in an inside unit, so the smell would spread throughout the building.  I’d be found out real quick and that would really be bad for me.
Luckily my shit didn’t stink this time.  I tied off the bag as best I could then set it by the door to remove it the next morning.  The next issue was where to dispose of it.  Thankfully, I walk along a street where buses run.  A few garbage cans are at the bus stops.  Hopefully they will pick up the trash before the sun bakes it and runs people off from the bus stop due to the smell.  I am grateful to not have smelled anything when I walked by that stop later in the day or the next.  I know the city workers are use to diapers being disposed of in these cans, so I don’t feel too bad about where I disposed of it.
This event though reminds me that I’m in better shape than most homeless people, but boy do I miss the use of a home bathroom for this and other reasons.
Life goes on…I go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment